Financial Aid: any money that can be used to cover the cost of higher education and it can come in the form of loans, grants, scholarships or work study.
HOW DOES A STUDENT GET FINANCIAL AID?
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Available online at: www.fafsa.ed.gov. It can only be completed after October 1 in senior year. Every student planning to attend some sort of education after high school should apply!
- Some colleges require another form called the CSS/PROFILE. To find a complete listing of the colleges that require this form and for info on completing it, visit: https://cssprofile.collegeboard.org. The CSS/PROFILE becomes available on October 1. Check with each college for their filing deadline. Cost: $25 to register and send to one college, $16 for each additional college. If you qualify for a fee waiver, you’ll be notified at the end of the process.
- Some colleges require their own institutional form, although this is rare. Students should become familiar with the financial aid process for each college they are planning to apply to by visiting the Financial Aid page of each college’s website.
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
FAME, the Finance Authority of Maine, is an excellent resource to help families through the financial aid process. Visit FAME's website to find step-by-step worksheets and other tools to help you complete the FAFSA. Here are a couple of the great worksheets to guide you through the process:
You can also search for FAME’s informational videos/resources on their website or on YouTube. Here are links to some helpful videos:
- Creating Your FSA ID Video
- Getting Ready to File Your FAFSA Video
- Financial Aid Presentation by FAME for PRHS - great video by our favorite financial aid expert!
- Short Overview of Financial Aid - What is it and How do I Get It? - by PRHS counselors
- Comparing Financial Aid Offers Video
- Comparing Financial Aid Offers Worksheet
- Understanding & Comparing Financial Aid Webinar - March 11, 2021 at 6pm click to register
- Personalized One-on-One Help Understanding Financial Aid Offers - March 29 or April 27 - click to register
NEED PERSONALIZED HELP FILING THE FAFSA?
Provided by FAME, these Zoom based sessions will consist of two parts. First, a short FAFSA overview, followed by private, one-on-one virtual help from FAME staff, if needed. The goal will be to provide you with the necessary support to file the FAFSA that evening! All services are FREE! Click here to see most up to date event listings and to register.
- February 11 at 6:30pm
- February 17 at 12:00pm
- February 17 at 6:30pm
FOR THE CLASS OF 2022 - parents/guardians and students can register for one of the FREE webinars hosted by FAME. This is an excellent opportunity to get a comprehensive overview of the financial aid process. Watch this quick video to find out more or click here to pre-register for one of these times:
Tuesday, March 9 at 6:00 PM
Thursday, March 25 at 6:00 PM
Tuesday, April 6 at 6:00 PM
Thursday, April 29 at 6:00 PM
Wednesday, May 12 at 6:00 PM
Monday, May 24 at 6:00 PM
- Meet the Staff
- Events & Announcements
- Information for Colleges & Profile
- Schedules & Course Offerings
- College & Military Reps Visiting Us
- Financial Aid
- Taking A College Class
- Lewiston Regional Technical Center (LRTC)
- Info for Incoming 9th Graders
- Mental Health Resources
- Worker's Permit Information
- Job Postings
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.