School Closing Information
School Closing Steps
To RSU16 Parent(s) / Guardian(s):
- If the weather becomes bad enough and there is a possibility that we may close school, you will be notified via an automated calling system to all contact numbers we have in your child's file. We also urge you to listen to the following TV and radio stations: WMTW (Channel 8), WCSH (Channel 6), WGME (Channel 13), and WMME (92 Moose). We will try to contact the TV and radio stations by 5:30 a.m., but cannot guarantee the announcement will be aired by then. ***If you would like to be automatically contacted via a text message from NEWS CENTER 6, see the message under 'News Center Text Alert' below these steps.
- BEFORE SNOW SEASON, please let the school office of the building your child attends know of alternative childcare arrangements that you have made.
- If school needs to be delayed to allow the town crews to plow, sand and salt the roads to make them safe, all morning buses will run late (usually 1 hour). School will still close at the regular time. Please note the change depending on the day of school:
- When there is a morning delay of school starting on a WEDNESDAY, there will be NO EARLY RELEASE. Students stay until regular release times.
- Also, any day there is a morning delay of school starting, there will be NO morning PreK.
- Once school has started, we will make every effort to limit the necessity to call for an early dismissal. If that should happen you will be notified via an automated calling system and all announcements will made on the TV stations and radio station listed above. If early dismissal is necessary, a decision will be made by 11:00 a.m.
- As parents, you always have the final decision. If you feel it is too dangerous for your child(ren), please keep him/her home, but we do ask that you call the school to let them know.
You may not always agree with my decision to cancel or postpone our school's starting time after a storm. Unfortunately, there is no exact science to these decisions and is simply a best guess on my part at 5:00 a.m. after consulting with our transportation director, road commissioners and area superintendents. Because there are some unusually hilly and sharp turning roads in RSU 16, there may also be a few occasions with I will cancel or delay school when others around us may not do the same. I will err on the side of caution when transporting our precious children.
I would like to thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
Kenneth J. Healey, RSU16 Superintendent
News Center Text Alert
OverviewGet local closings, contest and coupon alerts on your cell phone.
How do I sign up?
Go to https://www.newscentermaine.com/text-alerts and fill out their form. A PIN confirmation number will be sent to your cell phone from 25543. Use it to log in.
Is there a fee?
WCSH6 does not charge for this service. However, message & data rates may apply from your mobile provider. Check with your mobile provider for charges and plans.
When will I get the alerts?
You will receive alerts as soon as they are issued.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.